Before installing LucidWorks, review the system requirements in the section on Installation. If you are upgrading your installation of LucidWorks, please see the section Upgrading from a Prior Version before starting installation.
|The installer assumes a single-node installation, particularly in regard to starting LucidWorks Search at the end of the installation process. If, however, you are installing LucidWorks Search on multiple nodes of a cluster to run in SolrCloud mode, you should review the startup instructions at Using SolrCloud in LucidWorks. The most important point to know during installation is that you should not start LucidWorks at the end of the installation process and instead use the bootstrap instructions described in Using SolrCloud in LucidWorks.|
To run the installation wizard, follow these steps:
- Double-click the installation file (.JAR or .EXE). The Information screen appears.
If the installer does not open when you double-click it, open a command shell or prompt, make sure that Java 6 or greater is in your path, and launch the installer manually with the command java -jar <file-name.jar>.
- Click Next. A list of prerequisites for installing LucidWorks Search appears.
- Make sure your system meets the specified requirements, then click Next. The License Agreements screen appears.
- Read the license. If you accept its terms, click the button that reads, "I accept the terms of this license agreement."
- Click Next. The Components to Enable screen appears.
The installer displays a list of LucidWorks Search components and their default addresses. We recommend that you install all components, unless you are working on a custom installation. See Working With LucidWorks Search Components for more information.
- Configure the components dialog box to select the LucidWorks Search components and network addresses you want to install.
Remove Default Addresses to Skip Components
If you choose not to install a component, be sure to uncheck the box next to the component name and remove its default address (or change it to the location where that component is installed). If the address is not removed or changed, the component will not be installed, but the default address will be entered into the master.conf configuration file, which will cause installed components to try to access the skipped component at that address.
- Click Next. The Select Installation Path screen appears. Enter or browse to the directory where LucidWorks Search will be installed. It's best to choose a path that does not contain spaces (i.e., not a path like "c:\program files\" or similar). Paths with spaces will cause the crawlers to load improperly when LucidWorks starts. This will be the location of $LWS_HOME, which is referenced throughout this Guide when specifying file paths.
If you are upgrading a prior version of LucidWorks Search, do not overwrite your existing installation.
- Click Next. The installer will ask you to confirm the installation location before proceeding.
- Click OK. The LucidWorks System Monitor Screen appears. This screen allows you to opt-in to or opt-out of the LucidWorks System Usage Monitor program, which sends anonymous, encrypted data about your system to LucidWorks. A link on the screen will take you to the LucidWorks website for more information, or you can look in this documentation for the section on LucidWorks System Usage Monitor. Uncheck the box to opt-out of the program, or leave the box checked to opt-in.
- Click Next. The Summary of Choices screen appears.
- Confirm your installation choices, then click Next. The LucidWorks Search installation begins.
- When the installation is finished, click Next. The Start LucidWorks Search screen appears. To start LucidWorks Search immediately, check the Start LucidWorks box. If installing in Windows, you will be prompted to start LucidWorks Search as a service. If you opt not to install as a service, the next screen will ask if you want to start LucidWorks Search. If you intend to use LucidWorks Search in SolrCloud mode, you should not start LucidWorks Search with this installer (see the section Using SolrCloud in LucidWorks for more details.
- Click Next. The installer initiates the LucidWorks Search start scripts. In most installations, these start quickly, but it may take up to one minute for the scripts to complete. The installer allows you to continue while the scripts work in the background.
- Click Next.
- As a final step, the installer can create an automated installation script that includes the settings you chose that you can use to run unattended installations. To generate an automated installation script, click Generate an automatic installation script. Otherwise, click Done.
You have now installed LucidWorks Search. If you accepted the default component locations, you can access the Administrative User Interface at http://localhost:8989/. Otherwise, you can find the Administrative User Interface at the URL and port you chose in step six. Refer to the README.txt file under the installation root directory for the default password. You can change the default password using the Users screen in the Admin UI or with an API call described on the Users API page.